With the very contrasting news here and abroad, in the performing arts at least, we dare to hope for a slightly better year than 2020.
Final votes for the Piper Plays His Tune have come in, been counted and the not so fake news is that apparently my idea of making a completely solo album during lockdown, wasn’t so bonkers after all. In fact, some folks have even said some very kind things about it which you can read here
Don’t forget, it is also available as a digital download on Bandcamp :
And thanks to Prog magazine for including an interview with me by Alison Reijman.
New Hacktrax Release
As we enter summer please listen out for the chirping of the Goldfinch which will be our next Hacktrax release. We are now taking advance orders for a July release: https://hacktrax.co.uk/the-goldfinch-advance-orders/
Meanwhile here is a taster of what you can expect:
“Beautiful new album from the John Hackett/Nick Fletcher flute and guitar duo. Features arrangements of music by J.S. Bach, Handel, Vivaldi and Scarlatti. The title is taken from the “The Goldfinch (Il Cardellino)” flute concerto by Vivaldi”.
The cover painting is by Nick’s talented daughter Katherine.
John Hackett Band
We’ve just had a very successful band rehearsal. Once I’d remembered which way to hold the flute it all came back to me quite quickly and we are really looking forward to being able to play to a live audience again. It will be a joy to see old friends and don those spandex glitter trousers once more.
These are some of the gigs which we currently have lined up, with more to follow:
- Sunday 1st August 2021 – 1865, Southhampton + Haze Tickets here
- Saturday 18th December 2021 – Victoria Hall, Oundle + The Blackheart Orchestra Tickets here
- Sunday 23rd January – Giants of Rock, Minehead – with 10 Years After, Deborah Bonham, King King, Pick Withers
- Sunday 30th January 2022 – Robin 2, Wolverhampton,
- Sunday 6th March 2022 – Fusion, Stourport
- Sunday 10th April 2022 – Winter’s End, Chepstow
- Saturday 21st May 2022 – Seven, Leeds – with Joanne Harris + The Storytime Band
- Sunday 22nd May 2022 – Musician, Leicester – with The Kentish Spires
- Saturday 10th September 2022 – Greystones, Sheffield
We are delighted that our own guitar maestro Nick Fletcher has had rave reviews for his solo rock album Cycles of Behaviour to which I was happy to make a writing, performing and engineering contribution:
The album is a gem, jam packed with some of the most vigorous and invigorating music I have heard in ages, showcasing Nick’s formidable abilities as a rock player of incredible talent and dexterity.
And congrats to Nick on his fab new website www.nickfletcherguitarmusic.com where you can read more glowing reviews.
The album is now officially released and you can order it from this site (https://hacktrax.co.uk/index.php/product/cycles-of-behaviour/) or directly from Nick’s website.